Sunday, June 19, 2011

Mini but mighty: Meet Britain's strongest schoolgirl, 11



This is one schoolgirl you wouldn't want to challenge to an arm wrestle.
At four feet, seven inches and weighing just over five stone, Charley Craig is Britain's strongest girl.
Miss Craig, from Glasgow, can lift almost her own body weight - equivalent to 28 bags of sugar  - above her head.

She dreams of winning gold at the Commonwealth Youth Game and has already out-lifted every other child at the Gladiator gym in Glasgow where she trains.
She is steadily improving thanks to the tough fitness regime she follows - spending 12 hours training in the gym each week.
Charley said: 'It is really hard work and I'm sore most of the time. But then I look back and I'm happy with what I've done.

'My coach says I've got the potential to do well and go really far.
'The adults in the gym give me loads of support. When I can't do it they say ''up, up, up'' and they encourage me so I can concentrate and do it.
'I like the gym because it's a really friendly atmosphere. If anyone gets hurt we're always there for each other.'


But like many girls of her age, Charley's bedroom is wall-to-wall pink and she likes nothing better than hanging out with her friends, doing her make-up and reading fashion magazines.
Her favourite film star is Natalie Portman and she listens to Katy Perry and hip-hop artist, N-Dubz.

She dreams of a career like Zoe Smith, who won gold at the age of 16 at the Commonwealth Youth Games in 2008, and will represent the UK in the 2012 London Olympics.
Charley's family are committed to helping her realise her dream.
Her mother, Amanda Black, 37, drives her to the gym every day and ensures she sticks to a strict diet of pasta, fruit and vegetables.
The schoolgirl was introduced to the sport by her mother who has weightlifted for 20 years.
Charley's brother, Daniel, 20, who is also a competing weightlifter, has become his sister's coach.
When she first started at the age of nine, Charley could lift 13 kilograms.
At this rate, her brother predicts that she will be lifting her own body weight - 32 kg - before the year is out.
Her brother said: 'When Charley first started weightlifting it was to join in with me and mum.
'Then she got serious and I couldn't be more pleased with her progress.
'Her small size is actually an advantage because she has less of her own bulk to heave up.
'All she needs to do is use the techniques I've taught her to get that weight off the ground.


'She competed and won in her first competition a few months ago where she set a personal best of 28.5 kg. We're all really proud of her.'
But despite all her hours spent in the gym, Charley takes school just as seriously.
She said: 'I love going out to see my friends in school. I like getting an education because I want to do well later in life. All the subjects are good except maths, which is really hard.
'If I train hard enough, I would like to have the opportunity to represent Britain in the Olympics one day.
'My two aspirations in life are two things. I will always like to weightlift but I'd also like to be a doctor so I can help people.'


 

.

0 Penyokong CHELSEA:

 

Lulu pages Copyright © 2011 Designed by Alieff. Wanna get one? CLICK HERE!